As per Aetna, Last June, we notified you of changes to our policy for payment of E&M services for non-physicians to include behavioral health non-physician providers. We postponed that change.
Effective November 1, 2017, we will not pay for E&M codes (99201 – 99499) for the following behavioral health non-physician providers:
- Alcohol and drug counselors
- Behavioral analysts
- Employee assistance program (EAP) counselors
- Licensed professional counselors
- Marriage and family social workers
- Other mental health counselors
- Registered social workers
We will continue to reimburse for:
- 99408: Alcohol and/or substance (other than tobacco) abuse structured screening (for example, AUDIT, DAST) and brief intervention (SBI) services; 15 – 30 minutes
- 99409: Alcohol and/or substance (other than tobacco) abuse structured screening (for example, AUDIT, DAST) and concise intervention (SBI) services; higher than 30 minutes.
We are also expanding the policy, effective September 1, 2017, and will not reimburse the following medical non-physician providers for E&M services:
- Massage therapists
- Respiratory therapists
All professionals mentioned in this update should review the CPT, and Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) national code sets to pick a more accurate code that describes the services they are rendering.
OmniMD has you completely covered.
OmniMD EHR, Revenue Cycle Management (RCM) and Medical Billing service have helped over 12,000 healthcare professionals improve their clinical operations, patient care, and collections.
Let us help you take back your practice, patients, profits and maximize your revenues.