The Heart Rhythm Society (HRS) issued a first-of-its-kind consensus statement in the United States on exposure to MRI and Radiation for patients with Implantable Cardiac Electronic Devices
- Panel of Experts from 11 international organizations presented this at Heart Rhythm 2017, the Heart Rhythm Society’s 38th Annual Scientific Sessions
It provides guidance on who would be fitting to undergo certain procedures and how to observe the individuals who are exposed to:
- CT Scans
- Radiation Therapy for Cancer
- Study suggested that MRI can be done safely in many patients with magnetic resonance (MR) conditional and nonconditional systems
- Study was performed using data from randomized controlled trials, nonrandomized observational studies, and case series to support helpful and effective recommendations, given that each institution serves its patient population individually
- The writing group also assessed computational modeling and in vitro and animal studies to discover and identify specific compounds that may pose a greater risk to patients, which cannot be concluded by clinical studies alone.
The expert consensus statement was produced in collaboration with eleven international organizations as below:
- American College of Cardiology (ACC)
- American Heart Association (AHA)
- Asia Pacific Heart Rhythm Society (APHRS)
- American College of Radiology (ACR)
- American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO)
- European Heart Rhythm Association (EHRA)
- Council of Affiliated Regional Radiation Oncology Societies (CARROS)
- Pediatric and Congenital Electrophysiology Society (PACES)
- Japanese Heart Rhythm Society (JHRS)
- Sociedad Latinoamericana de Estimulación Cardíaca y Electrofisiología (SOLAECE)
- Sociedade Brasileira de Arritmias Cardíacas (SOBRAC)
Full Study / Paper is available at: http://www.heartrhythmjournal.com/article/S1547-5271(17)30453-8/fulltext
OmniMD has you completely covered.
OmniMD EHR, Revenue Cycle Management (RCM) and Medical Billing service have helped over 12,000 healthcare professionals improve their clinical operations, patient care, and collections.
Let us help you take back your practice, patients, profits and maximize your revenues.